FIRST LEGO League Team Blast #5 (Oct 7, 2019)
Dear FLL Coaches,
We hope that you are well on your way in the 2019-20 FLL City Shaper season! Please find below some recommended resources and task to complete with your team this week. You can also view last week’s recommended tasks in the archive at the following link: archive.firstroboticscanada.org/resources/archived-emails
- Tournament Registration (not including TDSB teams)
- Tournament Assignments (for TDSB teams only)
- Outreach Opportunity
- Training Opportunity
- Badge Ordering
- FLL Team Timeline
- Core Values
- Innovation Project
- Robot Design
- Tournament Registration (NOT including TDSB teams) – Last week, your team’s Lead Coach (as listed in your team profile) received information about how to register for your qualifying tournament. Please click here for a list of Ontario tournaments at which your team can compete and ensure that the Lead Coach uses the registration link that corresponds to your “conference” or “division” (i.e., east or west) to indicate your top 3 choices. The deadline to indicate your preferences is Thursday, October 17 at 5:00 p.m., after which your team will be placed in a tournament with spaces remaining.
- Tournament Assignments (for TDSB teams ONLY) – This week, coaches of TDSB teams will receive confirmation of their tournament assignments, along with information about how to pay the tournament registration fees, a survey requesting additional information about your team and an introduction to the Tournament Director for your respective events, with whom you can correspond about anything pertaining to your assigned event.
- Outreach Opportunity – The Girl Guides of Canada have a conference at the University of Toronto, Mississauga Campus on November 10 and they’ve asked FIRST to have a booth over the lunch hour to showcase FIRST LEGO League. Interested teams will be asked to set up between 10:00 a.m. and noon and to showcase the FIRST LEGO League program until 3:00 p.m. (table, chairs and access to power will be provided). Anyone interested, please contact Dave Ellis at email@example.com,.
- Training Opportunity – FLL teams are invited to attend an informal, robotics workshop on Thursday, October 10, hosted by Roger Balech at Holy Trinity High School from 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Teams can participate in either an introductory or an advanced programming session and will have the opportunity to talk about strategy and robot design, as they relate to this year’s City Shaper robot game. Please bring something with which to take notes and your existing robot, if you would like feedback on the design. Please RSVP to Pam Catricala at firstname.lastname@example.org with your team number and your preference for either the introductory or advanced programming session.
- Badge Ordering – FIRST Robotics Canada has created cool badges that can be purchased to recognize the time that team members have devoted to participation in FIRST LEGO League. Bronze (1 year), silver (2 years) or gold (3+ years) badges can only be ordered at the following link until October 31, 2019 and there will not be subsequent ordering opportunities: archive.firstroboticscanada.org/shop.
- FLL Team Timeline – These are just some guidelines to help you stay on track and prepare for your tournament, the first of which is only 6 weeks away! For a more detailed description of recommended weekly tasks please refer to the Team Meeting Guide. You may also wish to consult the FIRST Steps Curriculum or the FLL Beginner’s Guide for alternative season planning resources.
- Core Values – Invite students to participate in a team-building activity and have each group member recognize a teammate for demonstrating one of the Core Values during the meeting
- Robot Design – Complete EV3 Robot Lessons 1 and 2, as outlined on the poster at this link and try some of the additional programming tutorials at the following links:
- Innovation Project – Create solutions for Project Spark 1 and 2 using project prototyping materials and answer questions about their solution in their Engineering Notebooks