On this page we will provide information about two options in which you can engage your children/students in FIRST Tech Challenge Robotics.
Option 1 is a “Competitive Team” of 2-15 for kids ages 12 to 18 who would compete with other teams from around Ontario and this leads to a Provincial Championships and eventually a World Championship.
Option 2 is a “Class Pack” which is designed to be run in a classroom setting serving up to 24 students. More details on cost for each are below.
Costs and Grants
Class Packs Serves up to 24 Students
- Registration is $275 USD (~$340 CAD)
- Robot is $1000 USD (~$1250 CAD)
- Game Pieces
- Full Set $450 US (~$560 CAD)
- Half Set $260 US (~$320 CAD)
- Qualifying Tournament ($150 CAD x2)
- Maximum 2-15 students in a team (max. 10 recommended)
In the FIRST Tech Challenge Storefront, teams will have several options for purchase, including either a REV or TETRIX Competition set. The options are outlined in the Kit of Parts Options document below. You can also find more information about the two kits in our REV and TETRIX Bill of Materials. Teams will also be able to select a Electronics Modules and Sensors Set and a Control Communications Set.
Class Pack Sample Budget ~$6,000 CAD
- Registration is $895 USD (~$1100 CAD)
- Shipping is $87 USD (~$110 CAD)
- REV Education Bot is $650 USD (~$805) (per robot- classrooms need to purchase enough robots for a 1:4 robot to student ratio)
With a Class Pack (which serves 24 kids), you receive:
- Thinkscape Learning Management System Access
- Student Learning Modules
- Teacher Lesson Guidance
- 1 Mini Game Kit
- Access to the FIRST Professional Learning Community on Thinkscape
Apply for a Grant
There are a maximum of two competitive grants given to competitive teams
If your application is approved you are only eligible to receive either a competitive grant or a Class Pack grant
Prior to filling out a grant application please have ready for upload to the form your 'Proof of Registration/Payment'
- Organizations can have a max of one (1) grant
- Organizations cannot receive both a TEAM grant and CLASS PACK grant (they need to choose one or the other)
- CLASS PACK grants are intended primarily for use in schools (some exceptions allowed based on discussions with the Progam Lead)
- It is expected that CLASS PACK teams will return as CLASS PACK teams next year
- All FIRST Canada grants are intended to be for use with kids this year and next year at a minimum
- A limited number of Ontario grants are available on a first-come, first-served basis to new and returning teams
First-year grant - $750 Second-year grant- $250