Register below to become a Judge at our Competitions
When onsite, judges interview FIRST teams in the Pit Area and interview rooms and watch the competition on the playing field. Judges will receive instructions and training and reconvene to discuss teams and award winners throughout the day. Click here to view more about the role description and information on judging.
- Pre-event training – reading materials supplied by Judge Advisor approximately two weeks before the event
- Judge’s training dinner – the first night of the event (approximately 2 hours).
- Due to the nature of the judging process, this two-day time commitment is essential. The Judge Panel starting time on both competition days is usually finalized at the evening dinner.
- During the competition, Judge Advisors may request that their Judge Panels be onsite and in the room from 7:30 a.m. to the end of the competition (anytime between 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.)
*Must sign a Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Statement before the start of service. You can complete the Statment in the FIRST Volunteer Portal or in person at the venue.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND CRITERIA
- FIRST experience not required
- Minimum suggested age: 23 (not be a student, including grad students) (FRC Only)
- Maximum of 4 Judges from one company per event
- Judges cannot judge at an event where their child is competing
- Judges must be separated from their team in an active role (3 hours or less per week) for three years AND cannot judge an event
where their team is competing even if they are a non-active mentor*
- Additional details for FIRST Robotics Competition here and for FIRST LEGO League here.
*Above criteria also apply to Judge Advisors
The Judge Advisor provides training during the Judge’s dinner the night before the competition. Please read the Judge’s manual before this time. It is essential that all judges, especially rookies, attend the training. The Judge Advisor will contact all Judges with additional information.
Judges must be available for the dinner and the two event days.