Dear STEM Enthusiasts,
Would you like to inspire and be inspired by youth participating in a program designed to get them excited about science, technology, engineering and math? FIRST LEGO League Challenge (FLL Challenge) is a program in which teams (Grades 4-8) design, build and program robots to complete tasks on a themed playing field and develop innovative solutions to real-world problems, all in preparation for a remote tournament, where they demonstrate their robots and present their solutions to panels of judges.
If so, this is where you come in! We are seeking volunteer judges to evaluate team presentations and deliberate to determine award winners at a multi-day event, at which we celebrate the learning and accomplishments of participating teams. There is a small amount of preparation involved and no background in robotics is required because we are seeking judges to evaluate not only robot design and robot performance, but also the research, presentation and teamwork skills.
If you would like to help make this event possible by volunteering as a judge, please see below for the time commitment and instructions about how to apply.
- Complete application, screening and training for judging role (1 hour)
- Judging sessions (3 hours)
- Judge Deliberation (3 hours)
- Create a new (or log in to your existing) user account at www.firstinspires.org, select “Volunteer Registration” from your dashboard and apply for the role of judge at the Remote Qualifying Tournament. Please click here for an instructional video to help guide you through the process.
- Complete the Youth Protection Program (YPP) screening process, which will be initiated once you have applied for an event. Please note that your “clearance” remains valid for 48 months so judges who were screened previously need only accept the updated terms and conditions for YPP. Please click here for a brief instructional video about the screening process.
- Once you have completed the YPP screening process, the Volunteer Coordinator will assign you to a judging role and you can complete the judge training, which must be completed before your event (click here for a brief instructional video about the training process).
- As the tournament date approaches, watch your inbox for additional information from the Judge Advisor. Then show up at the specified time and prepare to inspire and be inspired.
Please forward this on to anyone else who you think may be interested in promoting science, technology, engineering and math to young people and hope to see you at the event!