Contest Rules and Regulations
#FIRSTCANADABUILD IT CHALLENGE CONTEST
(THE “CONTEST RULES”)
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. THE #FIRSTCANADABUILDIT CHALLENGE CONTEST (THE “CONTEST”) IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW AND SUBJECT TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL, PROVINCIAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS.
- Sponsor. The Contest is sponsored by FIRST ROBOTICS CANADA, with a mailing address of P.O. Box 518, Pickering Main, Pickering, Ontario, L1V 2R7, Canada (the “Sponsor”).
- Eligibility. The Contest is open to residents of Canada, excluding Quebec, who are over the age of six (6) at the time of entry. In the case of individuals below the age of majority in their province or territory of residence, such individual’s parent or legal guardian must consent to these rules and their child’s entry in the Contest. Satisfactory proof of identification must be provided to the Sponsor if requested. Employees of the Sponsor, its parents or affiliates, advertising and promotional agencies, contest administrators, and any other parties engaged in the development, production or distribution of Contest materials, and those living in the same household of such individuals or parties are not eligible to enter the Contest. By participating in the Contest, entrants, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, acknowledge compliance with, and agree to be bound by, these Contest Rules. Entrants, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, who do not comply with any of the Contest Rules are subject to disqualification by the Sponsor, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion.
- Contest Dates and Times. The Contest begins on APRIL 5, 2021 AT 8 AM Eastern Daylight Time and ends on MAY 1, 2021 AT 12 PM Eastern Daylight Time (the “Contest Period”) after which time the Contest will be closed and no further entries will be accepted for the Contest.
- How to Enter. During the Contest Period, entrants, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, can enter by:
- Visiting the #FIRSTCANADBUILDIT CHALLENGE Page on the Sponsor’s website at https://www.firstroboticscanada.org/fll/builditchallenge2021/ (the “Contest Website”);
- Reviewing the specified building challenge during the applicable portion of the Contest Period;
- Completing the specified building challenge using LEGO, LEGO Digital Designer, Minecraft, or other materials which may be found around an entrant’s home; and
- Submitting an entry by clicking on the #FIRSTCanadaBuildIt Challenge submission form (the “Entry Form”) online at the Contest Website and completing all mandatory fields.
- For the Contest, receipt of an internet entry occurs when the Sponsor’s server records the entry information. All entries must be complete and are subject to verification by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion. Each entrant can submit one (1) entry per day of the Contest Period for a maximum total of five (5) entries per week during the Contest Period. Each entrant can only use one e-mail address (which must be valid) to enter via the Entry Form. If an entrant is under the age of majority, the email address must belong to a parent or legal guardian of the entrant. In the event of a dispute as to who submitted an online entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address at the time of the entry.
- Any attempt or suspected attempt to use robotic, automatic, programmed or otherwise illicit means to enter the Contest, or any other methods not authorized by these Contest Rules, for example, but not limited to, creating multiple accounts, identities, or registrations, all in the Sponsor’s sole discretion, shall be deemed as tampering and may disqualify you from entering, participating and/or winning a prize. Entries that contain false or incomplete information are void. Entries that are late, lost, stolen, illegible, contain false information, are damaged, misdirected, mutilated, garbled or incomplete, altered or otherwise irregular or that do not conform with or satisfy any or all of the conditions of the Contest Rules are void. Entrants or their parents or legal guardians, as applicable, grant Sponsor a non-exclusive licence to use all entries for any purpose. No correspondence will be entered into except with Selected Entrants, as defined below. Proof of transmission (for example, screenshots or captures) does not constitute proof of entry or receipt of an entry.
- Contest Prizes. There is a total of 40 prizes available to be won as follows:
- Five (5) prizes per week during the Contest Period for entrants aged 6 – 14 years; and
- Five (5) prizes per week during the Contest Period for entrants aged 15+ years.
- The prizes awarded will be one of the following Sponsor branded clothing items: black cap, black toque, white socks, black socks, fanny pack or shoelaces. The approximate value of each prize is between C$3.50 and C$15 depending on the prize chosen by the winner.
- All winners, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, assume any and all liability for any injury or damage caused or claimed to be caused, by entering, participating in this Contest or the use or redemption of a prize. Prizes must be accepted as awarded and have no cash value. Prizes or any portion of a prize cannot be combined with other discounts, promotions, or special offers if any. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute an alternate prize of equal or greater value if an advertised prize is unavailable at the time of the award.
- Odds of Winning. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received before the last day of the Contest Period.
- Skill-Testing Question. Selected Entrants, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, will be required, as a condition of winning a prize, to correctly answer, without =assistance of any kind, the Sponsor’s time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question to be administered by email.
- Random Draw, Winner Selection and Confirmation. Every Sunday during the Contest Period, (i.e. starting from April 11, 2021, and continuing until May 3, 2021) (the “Draw Date”), the Sponsor, or an employee, agent or other representatives of the Sponsor will conduct five (5) random draws by electronic means for the age groups mentioned above from all eligible entries received before Saturday at 12 PM (EDT) of that week and select the potential winners (“Selected Entrants”). Selected Entrants will be deemed winners if they meet all the eligibility criteria set out in these Contest Rules. If a Selected Entrant does not meet the eligibility criteria, they will be disqualified and will not receive a prize and another entrant will be selected by way of a random draw from the remaining eligible entries. Before being declared a winner, Selected Entrants, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, will be required to: (i) correctly answer the Sponsor’s skill-testing question; (ii) sign and return the Sponsor’s Declaration of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release form (the “Winner Release”); and (iii) comply with all other Contest Rules, all in the sole discretion of Sponsor.
Selected Entrants, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, will be notified within two (2) business days of the Draw Date and will be contacted by email and/or telephone provided at the time of entry into the Contest. In the event that the Sponsor cannot contact a Selected Entrant for whatever reason within two (2) business days of the first attempt to contact, the selected entrant will be deemed to have forfeited any rights to the prize and a back-up entrant may be selected in the same manner by random draw taken from the same pool of entries, in which event, the foregoing provisions of this sentence shall also apply to such other eligible entry. A Selected Entrant, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, that does not or cannot accept a prize may be forfeited and a new Selected Entrant selected by random draw, in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. A signed copy of the Sponsor’s Winner Release must be received by the Sponsor no later than three (3) business days after receipt from the Sponsor via email. Sponsor is not responsible for the failure for any reason whatsoever of a Selected Entrant, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, to receive notification or for the Sponsor to receive a Selected Entrant’s (or their parent(s)’ or legal guardian(s)’, as applicable) response.
- Release and Indemnification. All winners, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, must sign the Winner Release to: (i) confirm compliance with all Contest Rules; (ii) agree to accept prizes as awarded; (iii) release, discharge and hold harmless the Sponsor, its parents or affiliates, advertising and promotional agencies, counsel, marketing partners, and each of their respective directors, officers, employees, shareholders, successors, sponsors, partners, licensees, subsidiaries, agents, artists, advisors, assignees, and all others associated with the administration, development and execution of the Contest (the “Released Parties”) from any and all manner of action, cause of action, claim or demand, loss or injury, or any suit, debt, covenant, contract, including legal fees and expenses, whatsoever, including but not limited to, claims based on negligence, breach of contract and fundamental breach, failure of any third-party contractor or supplier used in connection with any aspect of the Contest to perform or deliver any goods or services, or any act of God or any other event beyond the Released Parties’ control, any dissatisfaction of any kind by a winner, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, with any aspect of the Contest or any prize, liability for physical injury, death, or property damage which the entrants, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, guests or other third parties, their heirs, successors or assigns have, might have or could have suffered, by reason of or arising out of the entrant’s (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable) participation in the Contest and/or in connection with the acceptance and/or exercise by the entrant (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable) of prizes as awarded; and (iv) indemnify the Released Parties against any loss, damage or expense, including legal fees, that any of the Released Parties may suffer or incur as a result of any non-compliance by entrants (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable) with any of the Contest Rules or participation in the Contest and/or in connection with the acceptance and/or exercise by an entrant (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable), use or misuse of a prize or any travel related thereto.
The Sponsor is not responsible for: (i) incorrect or inaccurate entry information that may affect a person’s ability to participate in the Contest or be awarded a prize, including but not limited to human error, technical malfunctions, lost or delayed entries for any reason, mail failures, omission, or any combination thereof, and entries that fail to fully comply with these Contest Rules; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (iii) lost, incomplete, delayed, mutilated or misdirected entries or Winner Releases; (iv) injury or damage to entrants’ (or their parent(s)’ or legal guardian(s)’ (as applicable) computers or to any other individual’s computer related to or resulting from participating in, or downloading any material regarding the Contest or accepting a prize; (v) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable) participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize, including any related travel and the use of entries by Sponsor; (vi) the security or privacy of information transmitted via computer networks or for breaches of privacy due to interference by third-party computer hackers or otherwise; or (vii) late, lost, misdirected or unsuccessful efforts to notify a potential winner.
- Other Conditions. The Sponsor reserves the right to terminate or amend this Contest at any time and in any way, without prior notice to entrants (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable). Without limiting the foregoing, if, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned, the Sponsor reserves the right to terminate the Contest and conduct a random draw from all eligible entries received by the end of the Contest Period. Prizes must be accepted as awarded and may not be exactly as shown. The Sponsor reserves the right to replace selected prizes with one of equal or greater value at its discretion. The prizes will be delivered by standard ground mail to the address provided for that purpose by the winner.
- Publicity. With the exception of any personal information of entrants (and/or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable) which is subject to applicable privacy laws, with any participation in the Contest, entrants, or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable, consent to the use of the entrant’s building creation in any medium as submitted to the Sponsor, on the Sponsor’s websites, social media channels or other promotional vehicles and media of Sponsor, for the administration of the Contest or any publicity carried out by the Sponsor, (and any co-sponsors) and their respective parent and affiliate companies, and each of their agents and representatives, and marketing partners, without further notice or compensation. Each entrant, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, understands and acknowledges that the Sponsor may separately request consent for the Sponsor to publish and use the entrant’s image or other likeness in a similar manner, but that such consent is not required to be provided.
- Law. The Contest is void where prohibited by law and is subject to all applicable Canadian federal, provincial, territorial, municipal, and local laws. This Contest shall be governed exclusively by the laws of the province of Ontario, including all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Contest rules, rights and obligations between entrants (or their parent(s) or legal guardian(s), as applicable) and the Sponsor, and procedural provisions, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules. Any dispute shall be adjudicated by the courts sitting in the City of Toronto in the province of Ontario.
- Rule Amendments. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to amend or modify these Contest Rules, or modify, cancel or suspend this Contest, without prior notice for any reason whatsoever, including without limitation in the event that any cause beyond the reasonable control of the Sponsor corrupts, or threatens to corrupt, the security or proper administration of the Contest.
- Intellectual Property. All intellectual property, including but not limited to trademarks, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source codes, images, drawings, illustrations, slogans, and representations are owned by the Sponsor. All rights reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any of the Sponsor’s intellectual property without the express written consent of the Sponsor is strictly prohibited.
- Use of Personal Information. By participating in the Contest, each entrant, or their parent or legal guardian, as applicable, consents to the Sponsor’s and/or their prize or service providers’, and administrators’ collection, use and disclosure of their name, email or other electronic address, telephone number(s), town or city, province or territory of residence postal code, or mailing address (Personal Information) solely for the purpose of administering the Contest, including for prize fulfilment purposes, where applicable.
© FIRST Robotics Canada 2021. All Rights Reserved.